Colorado Bar Reciprocity

Horizontal Navigation Bar w/Rollover Effect

Colorado bar reciprocity relies upon 201.3 This regulation, known as Admission on Motion, indicates how attorneys that are licensed in other states can be licensed in the state of Colorado. To be admitted to practice in Colorado attorneys in other states must:

  • Have admitted via bar exam in another jurisdiction allowing similar admission standards to that of Colorado (such as through the UBE)
  • Or have engaged in active legal practice in any of the states or territories of the United States for a minimum of 5 years out of 7 years.
  • Colorado also allows a practice pending license for those who have been an attorney for 3 of the past five years.

Colorado Bar Reciprocity: Admission on Motion

Attorneys must be admitted in another jurisdiction, known as the admission on motion process, before they can be considered a licensed Colorado attorney. Colorado Bar Reciprocity admission is based upon the receipt of a complete bar application.

Reciprocal Jurisdictions

Colorado has a list in which it has reciprocity with certain states. The list is below as follows but can change at any time. We recommend you check out their list on their site just in case!



New Jersey
Colorado New Mexico
District of Columbia Georgia New York
Idaho North Carolina
Illinois North Dakota
Indiana Ohio
Iowa Oklahoma
Kansas Oregon
Kentucky Pennsylvania
Maine South Dakota
Massachusetts Tennessee
Michigan Texas
Minnesota Utah
Mississippi Vermont
Missouri Virginia
Montana Washington
Nebraska Wisconsin
New Hampshire Wyoming

Additional Colorado Reciprocity Requirements

  • Law Degree from a ABA law school
  • Good standing in all other jurisdictions where admitted before bar exam
  • No failure of the bar exam within 5 years of a previous application for admission
  • Passage of the MPRE (85 or more)
  • Active practice of law in at least one star for 5 of 7 years (active license and at least 1,000 hours per year in law practice and made at least 50% of their income not from an investment from the practice.)
    • In-house counsels (can not be used for duration requirement)
    • Legal Professors
    • Judicial Law Clerks
    • Judges
    • JAG Attorneys

2 thoughts on “Colorado Bar Reciprocity

    1. Hi there Nathan, the answer is yes…on a limited basis. They can pro hac into MS. They simply need to find another attorney that will vouch for them and file a notice with the Court for approval.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.