Alaska State Bar Reciprocity

Horizontal Navigation Bar w/Rollover Effect

Alaska bar reciprocity relies Rules 2 and 5 of the Alaska Bar Rules. This regulation, known as Admission on Motion, indicates how attorneys that are licensed in other states can be licensed in the state of Alaska. To be admitted to practice in Alaska attorneys in other states must:

  • Have admitted via bar exam in another jurisdiction allowing similar admission standards to that of Alaska (such as through the UBE)
  • Or have engaged in active legal practice in any of the states or territories of the United States for a minimum of 5 years our of 7 years.

Alaska Bar Reciprocity: Admission on Motion

Attorneys must be admitted in another jurisdiction, known as the admission on motion process, before they can be considered a licensed Alaska attorney. Alaska Bar Reciprocity admission is based upon the receipt of a complete bar application. Idaho also has a unique reciprocity with its close neighbors Idaho, Oregon, Utah, and Washington. Any attorney licensed in one of these states, receives a reduced duration requirement for admittance as long as they are in active practice.

Reciprocal Jurisdictions

Alaska has a list in which it has reciprocity with certain states. The list is below as follows but can change at any time. We recommend you check out their list on their site just in case! You can get to it here.

Arizona New Jersey
Colorado New Mexico
District of Columbia Georgia New York
Idaho North Carolina
Illinois North Dakota
Indiana Ohio
Iowa Oklahoma
Kansas Oregon
Kentucky Pennsylvania
Maine South Dakota
Massachusetts Tennessee
Michigan Texas
Minnesota Utah
Mississippi  Vermont
Missouri  Virginia
Montana Washington
Nebraska Wisconsin
New Hampshire Wyoming

Additional Alaska Reciprocity Requirements

  • Law Degree from a ABA law school
  • Good standing in all other jurisdictions where admitted before bar exam
  • No failure of the bar exam within 5 years of a previous application for admission
  • Passage of the MPRE (80 or more)
  • Active practice of law in at least one state for 5 of 7 years (active license and at least 1,000 hours per year in law practice and made at least 50% of their income not from an investment from the practice.)
    • In-house counsels (can not be used for duration requirement)
    • Legal Professors
    • Judicial Law Clerks
    • Judges
    • JAG Attorneys

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.