Do’s & Don’ts After A Car Accident
Below we have listed what you should do after a car accident and should not do after a car accident. It’s important that you read both the do’s and don’ts list. We would emphasize that you read the do’s list twice, for your own safety. What you should do after a car accident is crucial legally and from a common sense standpoint. We have also created a step-by-step guide on what you should do after an accident.
THE DOs: What To Do After A Car Accident
- Seek medical attention before doing anything else.
- Call 911
- Get license plate numbers of cars involved
- Get all drivers contact info
- Get contact info of bystanders/witnesses names
- Write down location
- Take images of:
- The scene
- Circumventing area.
- Your Injuries & Your Passenger Injuries
- Keep track of all work missed due to the accident.
- Get a property damage estimate from your insurer as well as a second opinion.
- Find a car accident attorney.
THE DON’Ts: What Not To Do After A Car Accident
- Move your car unless it seems necessary.
- Do not put yourself at risk by standing in the roadway.
- Flee the scene. Have you heard of a hit and run? Do you know what kind of damage that can do to your career or livelihood? It can be brutal. Moreover, it is illegal. Also, with all the cameras at each intersection and on people’s phones there is a high chance you will get caught if you do so.
- Do not toss potential evidence (bloodstained clothing, damaged car property)
- Do not remain in a burning car.
- Do not apologize
- Do not discuss anything unnecessary with the other driver.
- Never agree to the first settlement terms you come across. There is generally a better offer on the table you just have to work for it.